Friday, 18 December 2009

NCC attachment

To be honest, I've been getting quite lazy in my posting and it has been quite a while since I've actually posted anything, sans what was writing yesterday in a state of excitement. Needless to say, I've mentioned nothing about my attachment to NCC and today is already the end of the attachment.

All in all, the attachment was nothing like what I had expected. There was little to nothing exposure to oncology per say, though we did have plenty of opportunities to talk to the patients and understand more about them. We also had the chance to try to resolve their problems and help make their QOL better.

I guess I will be seeing onco patients in a different light after this. They don't really look that much different from the normal person you'll see on the street, and most of them are very different from those they show on charity shows to touch you and drive you to donate. They are, like any other person, normal people, except with some underlying problems that most others will not understand. Thankfully, that also means that most of them can get through life quite normally, even those who have advanced illness and may not have much longer to go.

Then again, it is quite a sad thing to work in such an environment, cause you know that regardless of what you do, some of the people that you've connected with will eventually go, and it won't be that long into the future either. I think I wouldn't be able to handle it, so kudos to those who can stay on and help them.

No comments: